Nova will give existing and aspiring deep tech founders the opportunity to see the VC world from the inside, providing first-hand experience in what it takes to successfully build your startup.
If you are an entrepreneurial researcher in an Australian university or publicly-funded research agency, are working on a new venture, or have ever thought about starting or joining a commercial venture based on your research, we want to work with you!
Apply to the Main Sequence Ventures Nova program and you could join us on our journey as we find, assess and invest in the leading deep tech founders in Australia. Each quarter, one Nova program participant will will shadow our partners in Sydney for 1–2 weeks.
During this time you will join us at partner meetings, pitches and networking functions, and help us with investment scouting, due diligence or decisions. Nova participants will be responsible for completing a specific piece of VC-related research or due diligence during the program, and will present the results to the partners at the end of their program.
Nova participants will:
- Gain an understanding how venture capital works from the inside
- Get insight into how venture capital investment decisions are made
- Meet entrepreneurs, co-investors and other top industry leaders
- Learn what makes a difference in a pitch and building your business.
Nova alumni include:
- Samy Movassaghi (CSIRO/Data61), read In the Shoes of a Venture Capitalist
- Dana Pordel (ANU)
- Danielle Kennedy (CSIRO), read My Week as a Venture Capitalist.
The next Nova session is expected to run in the October-December quarter of 2017, please apply now to register your interest.
The fine print
- The Nova program is open to researchers from any public research organisation in Australia (CSIRO, Universities, CRCs, DSTO, etc). If in doubt about whether you qualify please check with us.
- The Nova program is unpaid.
- We will need written confirmation of your employer’s support for your participation in the program.
- You will need to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- While we welcome applicants from all over Australia, we are unable to reimburse your travel and accommodation costs if you are coming from outside of Sydney. However, we will happily support you in applying for any grants or employer-provided programs available to you to to defray these costs.
- The Nova Program is run by Main Sequence Ventures, and selection decisions are made solely by the investment team based on our assessment of your achievements in your field, the value you’ll get out of the program, and the impact your participation will have on the commercialisation ecosystem in the public research sector.